"Secret skimping is out, like false bosoms." - Marjorie Hillis, Orchids on Your Budget, 1937.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 2009 Net Worth

Emergency Fund: $1,103.51
Checking: $29.26
ING Funds (total): $242.75
Roth IRA: $6,880.79 (out of the $7,100 I've invested so far)
401k: $4,192.86 (from the $3,686.40 invested so far)
Sharebuilder: $37.56 (out of $50 initial investment)
____________
Total Positive: $12,486.73

Rent: $PAID
Phone: $45.00
Subway Pass: $PAID
Credit cards: $1,179.26
Student Loan I: $8,530.66 (from over $19k)
Student Loan II: $0
____________
Total Negative: $9,754.92


______________________
Total Net Worth: +$2,731.81


Not a great month. I did way too much spending. I know the holidays aren't exactly a great time to cut back, but it's already going to take me about a month and a half of not saving a dime to pay off my credit card balances. I made a huge three-figure purchase that I'm not sure whether I regret. It was jewelry, of course. For me. It's the most I've ever spent on jewelry. It's the most anyone should ever spend on jewelry (excluding wedding and engagement rings).

Meanwhile, I doubt there will be bonuses this year, but that's no shocker. January is a 3-paycheck-month, and not too long after, I should get a decent tax return. Maybe grandma will send me $100 for the holidays. That would be nice. It would be a great idea for me to get a seasonal part-time job to save a little extra, but I wouldn't know where to start. Plus, I really should save by reigning myself in. Lifestyle inflation really is an insidiously creeping force.

And on a totally unrelated note, if you have not seen this yet, do yourself a favor and watch it:

No comments: