"Secret skimping is out, like false bosoms." - Marjorie Hillis, Orchids on Your Budget, 1937.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Love in the Library

Recently, my neighborhood Hollywood Video closed its doors, and I was left to ponder exactly how much time I would serve for all the illegal movie downloading I thought I'd be doing in the coming months. Instead, I learned to do without.

I learned to do without, that is, until, at the urging of blogs like Get Rich Slowly, I finally trudged over to the local branch to register. Sure, the DVD selection is a little lackluster (and sticky), but it's free, which beats the hell out of a $40 per month video bill.

I might have to pick up some latex gloves if I keep this up (what is that mysterious, pervasive stickiness??), but they will more than pay for themselves after a few visits.

...But seriously, is it slobber? A food substance? An antiquated anti-theft mechanism? I'd like to see a breakdown...some bar graphs or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I work at a library and know exactly what you're talking about. So many things come back with mysterious stains, smells, and sticky substances. One time, I think I pulled a whole cat's worth of cat hair out of a pile of books.
My library has a really great selection of DVDS. We are a large library system with about 9 branches though. See if there are any neighboring county or city libraries that also loan out to residents where you live. They might be able to offer a wider selection. You can also do an interlibrary loan (for about 50 cents) if there's a movie you're dying to see and no libraries around you have it.